Old Heidelberg Now The Jon Thomas Inne In 1925 Arthur (Otto) and Josephine (stage name Ethye) Miller, former “Marvelous Miller” ballroom dancing team who had danced around the world, retired and purchased a lodge on what is now the Sunrise Highway in Bay Shore and named it “Marvelous Miller’s Lodge”. At that time, the lodge was used as a summer resort and consisted of twelve bedrooms, two with private baths and two others with full baths. Otto and Josephine ran the lodge. The attic was converted into sleeping quarters set up as a dormitory accommodating twelve beds which were rented to construction men who were working on the Pilgrim State Hospital project being built then. Josephine and daughter Ruth prepared brown bag lunches of sandwiches, fruit, cake or cookies and coffee to be taken out by the workers. The men were served meals for breakfast and supper. Weekends they went home to their families. This routine lasted about two years. The Millers built a gas station and house on their adjoining property. The lodge was used as a summer resort for tourists and gave lodging to about eight families. Some show business people rented rooms here while they performed at the Bay Shore Theater which featured vaudeville as well as movies. The porch on the side of the kitchen was used for supplies. One year Otto and Josephine ventured to sell Eskimo Pies on consignment and stored them in a cooler. It proved to be too much of a temptation for Otto and Ruth as they consumed all the profits. When construction of Sunrise Highway came into existence, their gas station and three bedroom house had to be moved. As a result they had to live rather primitively using a camp stove for cooking meals. After Pilgrim State Hospital workers left, Millers moved into their house and rented the lodge out several times. In 1938 Harry and Elsie Seifert leased the lodge building for a year, changed the name to “Old Heidelberg” and with permission converted the sun porch into a Bavarian bar. The Seiferts eventually bought it and ran it for several years. Ruth Miller, daughter of the origianl owners, held her wedding reception at the “Old Heidelberg” with Dorthy (DeMaria) Miller as maid of honor. Her wedding pictures were taken by the local photographer, James Johnathan, Sr. In 1940, Otto and Josephine Miller moved to Florida. Mr. And Mrs. Fred Ooms bought the “Old Heidelberg” from the Seiferts in May 1952. They leased it at one time to Mr. Gerisi for twelve years. It was sold again to John Hickey and Thomas Lally, the present owners. They renamed it “The Jon Thomas Inne” and have operated it since 1977.